Last updated on September 21, 2023 at 03:03 pm
The Situation: Reaching casino workers with no access to computers
Most customer-facing casino workers do not sit in front of or have access to desktop computers. Many are part-time and do not have company provided email addresses. This presented Mohegan Sun, that operates 24/7, with a challenge when it came to effectively engaging, communicating with and reaching all of its 11,000 deskless employees.
Prior to going mobile and working with theEMPLOYEEapp, the internal communications team at Mohegan Sun utilized numerous tools to get information to its employees. This included:
- A bi-weekly newsletter
- Regular emails (only to those who the company had their email address)
- An employee intranet that was only available on site
- Printed materials and newscasts from Mohegan’s internal production team, which were displayed on TVs in employee-only areas.
However, it was hard to quantify the impact of each and know that important information was actually being received.
In evaluating its overall communications effort and recognizing that the vast majority of its employees are on their mobile devices when they have appropriate downtime, Mohegan Sun sought to identify a mobile solution that was:
- User-friendly and accessible to the largest percentage of its employees as possible.
- Available both via mobile and on the web. So, employees who didn’t want to download business apps to their personal devices didn’t have to.
- Ensured that everyone in the company and across all of its locations had access to the same tools and information. Or information specific to each location.
- Included a way to push out alerts/push notifications to all employees or targeted groups of employees, especially in the case of emergencies.
- Was cost effective, easy to deploy, and required minimal IT involvement.
theEMPLOYEEapp & Mohegan Sun Successes
Mohegan Sun partnered with theEMPLOYEEapp and rolled out its employee engagement app branded as Mohegan Today. Mohegan Today has become the company’s go-to tool for distributing internal communications.
It is the first tool used when distributing important information and has completely replaced the company’s intranet. Mohegan Today:
- Consolidates all essential communications, including:
- Their bi-weekly newsletter
- The Mohegan Minute (daily property updates)
- Contests and promotions
- Guest service scores
- Letters commending the team
- Includes workplace tools so that deskless employees only have to download a single workplace app to have access to their payroll and benefits, scheduling portal as well as practical information like job openings, employee dining room menus and a phone directory.
- Since its initial launch in May 2016, has adoption of 60% at the Mohegan Sun property in Connecticut and 40-50% adoption across all properties.
- Has grown from seven administrators posting content to Mohegan Today to more than 20 allowing for content to be targeted not only to different properties but also employee groups making for a more personal and relevant app experience.
“Mohegan Today has quickly become the go to source for employees to easily access the information that’s not only important to them in their work, but also to their personal lives. Communicating with employees through their mobile device was no longer not an option for us. Working with theEMPLOYEEapp has taken our internal communications to a whole new level.”
— Erin Frostad, Employee Communicatinos and Involvement Manager, Mohegan Sun
About Mohegan Sun
Mohegan Sun owns and operates hotels, casinos and resorts in Connecticut, Atlantic City, Pennsylvania, Washington, Louisiana and has one on the way in South Korea. With a dynamic workforce spread across the massive casino, it is imperative that Mohegan Sun is able to get important information directly into the hands of its employees, 80% of which are frontline workers.
Learn more at mohegansun.com.